Elegant, historic, formal, informal. ''Cotton Cottage'' is one of the most impressive and historically significant homes in Old Town Pinehurst. This magnificent cottage, with extraordinary features, has been carefully restored and maintained for 41 years by one owner, with only 3 previous owners since it was built in 1916 . ''Cotton Cottage'' was renovated in 1997, using only the finest material and craftsmen, adding a new Master Suite, indoor pool, elevator to the second floor and fabulous dressing area with unlimited closets! Home has a generator, whole yard irrigation with Well, newly built 3 bay garage, whole house water turn off switch at kitchen door, 600 Amp elec. Feature sheet available from agent. Immaculately maintained. No detail left undone. Fabulous grounds. WALK TO VILLAGE! In March, 1916 Spencer Waters purchased the lot upon which this house was built. By the following fall, the house was under construction, and the "Pinehurst Outlook" described it as a "two story structure..."which was designed by Boston Architect Lyman Sise. The hip roofed house has a masterfully proportioned three-bay facade with a recessed central entrance, an entrance porch with heavy posts and a balustraded deck, and sets of four narrow sash windows flanking the entrance and above the porch deck. Additionally pairs of individual sash windows complete the second story of the facade. The house was built for Mrs. Spencer Waters who sold it to Norwood Johnston. Mr. Johnston entered the oil business early in life and was associate with Carnegie Natural Gas Co., a subsidiary of The U.S. Steel Company. The Johnstons started their annual visits to Pinehurst in 1908and purchased the Cotton Cottage in 1920. He joined the Tin Whistles in 1922 and served a term as President.